RE: Involuntary Verbal Punctuation Syndrome.
“Right?” Is the New “Umm,” Only More Smug
Let’s talk about one of the most annoying conversational tics to emerge since people started saying “literally” when they mean “not even remotely literally.” I’m talking about the word “Right?”, which is now being deployed in conversations approximately 45 times per minute, or roughly the speed of a hummingbird having an espresso seizure.
You’ve heard it. You’ve probably done it. Someone’s telling you a story:
“So I’m standing in line at Whole Foods, right? And the cashier’s like totally judging my gluten-free popcorn, right? And I’m like, it’s made with quinoa and tears, so it’s HEALTHY, right?”
And you’re standing there, nodding like a dashboard bobblehead, wondering if you’ve accidentally signed a legally binding agreement by agreeing to every single “Right?” like you’re trapped in a passive-aggressive clickwrap contract.
Here’s the thing: “Right?” is no longer a question. It’s now an audio speed bump. It’s a verbal tick that exists to fill the silence before the speaker continues blathering. It’s not a genuine request for affirmation—it’s a rhetorical trap. It dares you to say “No,” even though the last sentence was something like, “Moths are just goth butterflies, right?” and now you’re trying to remember if you even know what a moth is anymore.
This has gotten so bad that some people can’t even tell stories without righting them into oblivion.
“So I told my boss, right, that I need more flexible hours, right, because my yoga goat is only available on Tuesdays, right, and if I don’t go, my chakras start getting all clingy, right?”
By this point, your brain has bailed out of your skull and is hiding behind the couch, holding a “Send Help” sign.
It used to be we had solid filler words like “um”, “like”, "okay", and the classic “you know?” But “Right?” is different. It’s smug. It’s aggressive. It’s like the speaker is pre-agreeing with themselves, and you’re just there to confirm that yes, this is in fact reality, and yes, quinoa is a personality now.
In summary, we as a society need to calm down with the “Right?” usage. There should be a limit. Maybe three per conversation. Four if you’re in marketing. Five if you’re a podcast host with a backward hat and a microphone the size of a rhino's leg.
If we don’t stop this epidemic, I fear that within the next five years, entire conversations will just be people saying “Right?” back and forth, like very confident parrots with social anxiety.
Let’s save language. Let’s say things. Without asking if we’re okay every five seconds. Right?
Thanks!

No comments:
Post a Comment