Here are the modern terms or phrases (jargon) that piss me off. I can't stand these!! Every time I hear people say these I look down on them just a little bit more. So without further delay... here they are:
"Share out" meaning to discuss or share one's thoughts. Just say "share".
"Piggyback" meaning to add or include one's ideas to someone else's.
"What does that look like" meaning expectations.
"Popcorn out" meaning to randomly, as a group, share thoughts about a topic.
"The ask" meaning requirements or expectations.
"Lean into" meaning to increasingly rely on.
"Deep dive" meaning to examine something thoroughly.
"Unpack" meaning to discuss something in detail.
"Are you with me?"
"Right?" said as a verbal tic.
"Know what I mean?"
"Does that make sense?" said constantly.
"Tracking" means to understand something complex.
"Push out" means to release or put out information.
"Pushing in" to offer services.
"Push back" meaning to resist.
"Loop in" meaning to include someone in a group.
"Facing" meaning to be accessible.
"Double down" to reiterate.
"Where it lives" meaning where something is.
"Look fors" meaning expectations.
"Guardrails" which means the exact damn thing as "guidelines".
"Gate Keeping" which means to keep some good info from others and hog it up for yourself.
When listening to someone speak in front of a group, many people will use these (and others) as borrowed wit, and in a desperation to sound C L E V E R.
Makes me sick.
So let's read a paragraph where some loser uses EVERY ONE of these! Prepare to be enraged!
"So for our upcoming field trip, I just wanted to share out some thoughts and maybe piggyback off what Jen said earlier about bus logistics, right? I'm not trying to gate keep anything. So the ask here is that we all lean into being really clear with students about what that looks like, right? Especially around behavior guardrails, look fors, and lunch expectations—does that make sense? We’re planning to push out the permission slips Friday, but we might need to push back on the chaperone cap if more parents want to push in, know what I mean? Also, I’ll loop in the counselors on the emergency plan so they’re facing that info too. I think it would be great to popcorn out any concerns at the end of the trip so students can share out reflections, then maybe we can do a deep dive into what went well and unpack any concerns in our next staff meeting. Is everyone tracking? We really need to double down on setting clear guardrails for phone use, and let everyone know where the schedule lives in the shared drive now, for anyone who needs it. I’m going to push out a draft itinerary today, does that make sense? Are you with me? Right? Hello?"
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment