Little Sammy Walk (Dad) got his leg run over. It was bad. Rather than amputate his leg, they used a revolutionary procedure. Pins and a plate. Attached to the outside of the leg. Dad made a full recovery.
He explained to me that he was chasing his brother Billy (Uncle Bill) around and Billy ran across the street. Sammy was closing in. Next thing he knew he saw a car in his peripheral vision, and felt an impact on his leg. When he tried to take a step his leg just collapsed under him. He said the knee went down to the ground and blood came out. He passed out. Apparently the man who had run over his leg carried him up to Grandmother's door and presented his unconscious body saying "Ma'am I think I just killed your boy." (Dad must have been told that part of the story by Grandmother.) Anyway, they rushed him to the doctor which then referred him to a specialist. The doctors decided to try this experimental procedure which had been used successfully on horses. Dad had the scars on his leg for the rest of his life. A line of circular scars where the screws were. He said his left leg was a bit shorter than the right one after this accident. Not enough to really notice. The above photo appeared in a medical journal. I wish I could find a copy of that.
Anyway, that's how I remember him telling the story.
No comments:
Post a Comment