Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Halloween Memory #276: Better Check Yer Candy

One time when I was about 10 or so, we teturned from our journey up and down the block and I went inside and poured out my haul and began going through it. In the back of my mind I thought I should check the candy for any scullduggery, or tampering. Somehow, it slipped my mind. I took a Hershey's mini-chocolate, quickly unwrapping it - noting, yet ignoring, how loose the wrapper seemed - and popped it in my mouth. VERY quickly, I realized there was a problem. As I looked around the room (everyone was doing their thing, talking, sorting candy, and/or watching a horror movie or whatever) my head swam as a terrible flavor crashed through my olfactory senses and taste-buds. YUCK!! Oh NO! The chocolate had been tampered with!!!! I went quickly to the bathroom sink and spit it out (I swallowed none of it). Obviously someone had doused the chocolate in handsoap. It tasted like soap and there was soapy residue evident on the chocolate. Wow!! The only thing I kept thinking was... what if it had been rat poison? Or worse?

I always checked my candy thoroughly after that!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't remember this almost tragic evene. I'm glad you didn't expire that halloween night! We've enjoyed your company immensely. Dad