Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Halloween Memory #125: March of Crimes

It was Halloween season. October. I was maybe 18. For a couple years in a row, my buddies Troy, Darin and I had volunteered at the "March of Dimes Haunted House" at Wonderland Mall (now Crossroads). We did this as we got older cuz we couldn't really trick or treat anymore and hey a guy has to have his fun, right?

Well on this particular night, we volunteered. I was ushered in to the back where I hastily painted my face a lurid red and black. Then it was off to work. I went in where an empty room was. They told me "Work here!". So I did.

This will disappoint some people, but anyway, what can I say? I was a mischevious kid. Here is some of the things I did that night:

  • Took a mannequin leg and bashed to pieces a speaker that was playing scary sounds.
  • Took an old wig that was hanging in there.
  • Grabbed a customer's arm when I popped out at her (we were instructed not to touch).
  • Threw a worker's witch mask into a cauldron of unknown liquid. They searched and searched for it. Finally someone found it. It looked hilarious as they picked it up out of the goo! She said "How am I gonna wear it now?" and I heard plenty of "Who did it?"
  • Abandoned my area and roamed all through the haunted house raising cain.
  • Jumped up on a railing (we weren't supposed to).
  • Fired off a fire extinguisher. Several times.

It was so much fun I was about to soil myself! But the fire extinguisher stunt really brought the show to a close. They had to evacuate and shut down the whole thing, put up the flaps and ventilate the thing. After the adrenaline wore off I felt bad about my frenzy of mischief. Oh well. That was the last year we volunteered, and the only time I acted like an idiot. I had fun though, and no real harm was done.

Except to that little speaker.

Oh yeah... the previous night -- me, Darin, and Troy, flash-lights in hand, had snuck into the place and took a little exploratory preview tour, if you know what I mean. Heh heh!

Well, I aint like that no more.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember the misadventures. As a matter of fact I believe you were fired as a volunteer and told to never come back! Dad