Sunday, January 18, 2026

Halloween Memory #9: Mom's Homemade Pirate Costume

 

(The above is not a picture of me, but it's an AI rendering of a close approximation of what I sort of kind of looked like)

As time goes on the details fade. Anyway, it was when I was probably about 7 or 8. Obviously Halloween was a big deal at that time at that age. FREE CANDY! 

Well, I'm not quite sure why, but on this particular evening I didn't have a store-bought costume to wear. It may be the one year that I had to return the devil costume. Nevertheless, I did not have a costume to wear. 

Mom sprung into action and put together a great last minute costume. She said "You can go as a pirate!" (I can't believe we didn't snap a photo). So she grabbed a bunch of old clothes and arranged them in such a way that I looked very passable as a quote unquote "pirate". Complete with eye patch. It actually looked great. She even daubed some makeup on my face to make it look like I had a beard. 

Anyway, some people across the street were having a Halloween block party for the kids and this included a Halloween costume contest. Maybe 10 kids showed up. Boy it was a great time. Games and fun things going on. Anyway the costume contest was a fierce competition. Guess who won first place? Me! 

So, good job Mom! Your last minute costume idea got me an extra bag of candy. When I won she got a good laugh and looked at me so proudly. That was a great memory! 

No comments: