Monday, September 6, 2021

Magic - Bruce Springsteen (album review)

 

Magic album review

  1. Radio Nowhere. Driving rocker and an excellent opening song. It’s an instant classic. 5 stars.
  2. You’ll Be Coming Down. Great mid-tempo song. Should be played live more. I like the way he sings on this! 4.5 stars. 
  3. Living In The Future. Nice retro-pop number. Sort of in the same vein as 10th Avenue Freezeout. Can’t quite figure out what the lyrics mean, but I like it ok. 4 stars.
  4. You’re Own Worst Enemy. Another good mid-tempo rock song. 4 stars.
  5. Gypsy Biker. Huge rock song. Powerful! I love this song. Hope to see it played live again one day (I saw the show in Dallas back in 2008). The guitar interplay between Bruce and Steve is great!! 5 stars.
  6. Girls In Their Summer Clothes. To all the “Bruce can’t sing” idiots, here is exhibit A. Bruce croons well on this excellent pop ballad!!! If this had been released by Dion in 1968, it would have been a #1 song! 5 stars.
  7. I’ll Work For Your Love. I absolutely love this song! Great imagery, great performance! Catchy as hell! 5 stars.
  8. Magic. Slow ballad with a deep political meaning. I think it’s a pretty cool song. Not one of my favorites though. 4 stars.
  9. Last To Die. Another foray into political rock! This one rolls along at a fair clip. (John Kerry sucks a$$ by the way). 4 stars.
  10. Long Walk Home. This is one of those classic Springsteen rock anthems! Damn near perfect! 5 stars.
  11. Devils Arcade. A hauntingly beautiful, powerful, epic song dealing with death, life, loss, survival, and grief... but not weakness. 5 stars.
  12. Terry’s Song. In my opinion this should NOT have been included here. This album should have ended with Devils Arcade. As a song it’s not bad. As a denouement it’s ok I suppose. Sometimes channels “my city of ruins” musically. 3 stars

No comments: