Wednesday, April 22, 2026

John S. Walk - Autobiography

 


(this is NOT my Dad. But he looked like this.)

Here is a little Autobiography I found written by my father around 2006 or so.

==============================================================

John Walk 318 Saratoga Dr. San Antonio, TX 78213

Radio Broadcasting History

I was employed in Radio Broadcasting for approximately 40 years. Thirty-one of those years were spent here in San Antonio. I worked at the following Radio Stations: KBAT KITY - KITE – KQXT and KSLR. I was employed at KSLR Radio for sixteen years. (1979-1995). While working at KSLR, I started my employment as Program Director, was promoted to Operations Manager and finally to General Manager, in 1993. I left the company in 1995 for personal reasons.

My first job in Radio was at KCLW Radio in Hamilton, TX., in the summer of 1954, as the afternoon announcer. After less than one year I got a job with KEAN Radio in Brownwood, TX.

From there I entered the Military Service in January 1956 and was honorably discharged in January of 1959. I took basic training at Fort Ord, CA. My first assignment as a member of the Army Signal Corps was with 5th Army Headquarters in Chicago, Ill. My highest rank while in the military was Specialist 4th Class. I was assigned NCOIC (Non-Commissioned-Officer-In-Charge) at Fort Sheridan, Ill., in charge of Radio Control, ACAN (Army Communication Administrative Network)for two and a half years. Following my military service I worked for a short time at KTEM, Temple, TX.

While stationed at Fort Sheridan, I married Kathleen E. Leslie, who grew up in Colorado Spings, CO. We were happily married for 46 years and had four children, John S. Walk Jr., Randall Rae Walk, Carol Ann Walk and Michael Vance Walk. After stints with KSSS, Colorado Springs, CO., KWFR, San Angelo, TX.,

My responsibilities and acquired skills in Radio Broadcasting, included, but was not limited to, daily on air shift, supervision of personnel, creation of department budgets, radio spot sales, engineering compliance with FCC rules and regulations, writing and producing commercials, talk show host and remote broadcast assignments.

From 1995 through 1997, I worked at the Golf Emporium. This was a large golf store located outside loop 410 at West Avenue 78213, San Antonio, TX. My duties there included club fitting, soft and hard good sales and Tournament Director. (Store no longer in business). I also worked for Golf Galaxy in San Antonio, TX.

From 1997 through 2003, I was employed by The Scripture Stall. A Christian Bookstore located at 5720 Bandera Rd. My immediate supervisor was Larry Heppes, owner/president. Bobby Gouge, manager. While at the Scripture Stall, I did retail sales, managed the music department and was music/video product buyer. This business no longer exists.

From 2003 to present, I worked as Substitute Teacher for The School of Excellence. My immediate supervisor was Mrs. Alma Garza, at the Oblate Campus.

My wife, Kathleen, died in September of 2003. At the present time I'm retired. I have eight grandchildren, Christopher Walk, Laci Walk, Catherine Mason, Kristin Barron, Sarah Walk, Carl Griffin, Cala Crews, Coby Crews and one Great Granddaughter, Olivia Walk.

No comments: