Thursday, March 5, 2026

The Impacted Wisdom Tooth (a week of agony)

 


Starting on February 28th 2026, I became afflicted with an impacted, infected wisdom tooth. I'm here to tell you it hurts like you would not believe. Pain, radiating, agonizing, incessant, unremitting pain radiated from the tooth into the surrounding gum area. This in turn affected my jaw. Also my throat. It causes me to have the worst sore throat I have ever had. Swallowing is a painful ordeal. Eating food is a torment. Drinking liquid is uncomfortable. 

As I write this on March the 5th (6 days in) I am still in pain. Though it has somewhat diminished. I'd say it has gone from an 8 to a 7 (on a ten point pain scale). The tooth area hurts. My gum area hurts. My jaw hurts. My throat hurts.  It's really bad. I am holding out for Spring Break. During Spring Break I will probably go to a dentist. The infection is really horrible.

The other night I got woke up in the middle of the night. I noticed it was 2:30 in the morning. It was 2:30 ("tooth hurty"). I smiled through the pain.

I have been taking more pain reliever that I probably should, all in an effort to minimize this pain. Funny thing is, the pain reliever does not completely relieve the pain. It only minimizes it. So for the last 5 days I have been in, more or less, constant pain. 

It sucks.

I still have all my wisdom teeth and usually it doesn't hurt this bad. Over the years I've had flare ups here and there. Usually a bit of localized gum discomfort. But this is a full on assault on my mouth. The best way I can describe this is it's kind of like when you eat something cold and your teeth hurt real bad for a moment. It's sort of like that but imagine that moment of pain being stretched out over days. That's kind of what I'm dealing with.

I have not been sleeping too well. At this stage its the throat that hurts, mostly.

Anyway, I can't believe I'm having to deal with this @#$%&.


Update: March 18, 2026
I'm fine now. About 7 days in, the pain went away. I had to take a steady load of Aleve and prescription level ibuprofen. But I made it through. Very painful.

No comments: