Thursday, March 26, 2026

Elusive Memories of the Past (Memory dust)

 



I'm sure most people have these kinds of things. Things from their past they encounter and half remember, but which remain elusive. The following are some from my past. Mostly from my time at Dellview Elementary School (ages 5 to 9).

1. There was a book I was read to me back at Dellview. The teacher read it to us. It gave me the creeps. It was about a kid who was scared of the dark or something. Wandering through and old dark house. I vaguely remember a part where he saw an image and it scared him but it turned out to be his own image in a mirror. Things like that.

2. I remember a show I saw as a kid where there was a shadowy figure running around inside a house. I thought it was an episode of Marcus Welby MD, but no such episode exists, as far as I can tell.

3. Back at Dellview we had our daily readers. I think one had a Tiger and one had a Dinosaur. I liked them. I would like to see them again for old time sake, but I have no recollection of titles or anything else.

4. There was an educational thing back in Dellview that had generic super heroes. They looked cool. It was very unique. I remember I was very enamored with it. But for the life of me I can't remember anything else about it.

5. There was a pirate book I really liked. But I don't recall anything other than that. I found it in a classroom library in some random class at Dellview.

6. My mom (and dad) had an educational set. It had records in it. It taught ABC's and numbers and stuff. When I was 5, my mom would sit me down and make me listen to these little records. It would be cool to see it now, but for the life of me I can't recall any details of it.

7. I have the vaguest memory of some time in my distant past. I was possibly a baby. I just recall the most vaguest feelings an impressions of what occurred. To the best of my memory I was in a place sitting on the floor. I was crying. Upset. I was lifted. I was carried into another place. I recall the color blue and many faces. Interpreting my thoughts (over years) I think I was taken to a church, put into a child care class, freaked out, and they took my to my mother who was in the sanctuary. This is a very early memory. I was maybe less than two because I was unable to walk.

8. I recall joining my dad on a trip to meet with a guy named "Tommy Reynolds". Amazingly, my dad was drinking a beer. He almost never drank. But he let me taste it. It tasted nasty. I must have been about 4 or 5. This was the early 70's when having a brewski behind the wheel wasn't a cardinal sin. Weird times. Anyway, we also saw a field. And visited some other guy with vitiligo. The vitiligo guy baffled me. I have no idea what the hell was going on.

9. I have several sketchy memories of my Dad's time at the CinemaTex Theatre (working for Tommy Reynolds). It would have been around 1972 or so. Reynolds was basically a scam artist/business man.

10. There was a cartoon I saw as a kid (early 1970's) which I thought was super cool. It showed two heroes from (representing) different cultures (Arab, and Russian?) who eventually had a showdown. A big fight. Try as I might I can't find any info on that particular cartoon. I remember I liked it a lot. I know it exists, because I remember it.

In some ways its like having your own personal "Mandela Effect". You think you remember it. But then it remains elusive so you can't confirm it.


No comments: