Friday, September 14, 2012

Halloween memory #245: Grim Reaper in Church

It was last year (2011) so we aint talking about an old memory. I was dressed as the grim reaper, and having a blast handing out candy and basically having loads of fun in general. At one point me and Laci, my neice, went walking around the corner because we could hear loud music playing. We went in the direction of the music and saw someone flashing a light our way and calling to us from across the street. This is an old church where this guy was. Used to be Wayside Baptist Church. Now it was some local community church. Well we decided to go see what was up. Laci wasn't dressed up, but remember I was. I was decked out in full grim reaper regalia, complete with scythe.

It was some very enthusiastic people who said "Come on in, the show is about to start!" And so we went back behind the church to a door. I figured it would be some haunted house kind of thing. Then we went thru the door and were ushered into a small area with a stage set up. We were in a small chapel. I went on in and sat down. So it turns out it was a horror show, but a reality horror show. It was a dramatic portrayal (by amateur actors taking themselves very seriously) of an abortion situation. Then following that rather lurid display of abortion, regret, depression, suicide, etc. came a rather strident young man who preached hell-fire and brimstone to us!! Keep in mind I was dressed like the grim reaper the whole time!!!I kept my mask on the whole time. Through the sermon, the prayers, and the brief meet and greet that followed.

As we left we were hailed by happy folks that were so glad we could make it. Shaking hands and saying thanks, and nice to meet you all the way back out to the parking lot. Though I got some strange looks, no one really mentioned or made a big deal of the fact that I was disguised as the grim reaper. By the time we left, my head was still reeling about going to a "church service" in such a way. It was amazing!!!

Here is the outfit I was wearing:

No comments: