Thursday, May 10, 2012

Why I oppose "Gay Marriage"

I oppose homosexual marriage primarily because I reject the notion of "redefining" any commonly, traditionally-held, long-standing, institution. Marriage, for the last 6000 years, has been defined as a union between an adult woman (wife) and a man (husband). And so it must remain.

Let me state right now that I DO NOT oppose homosexual people. They have the same basic rights we all have to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness under the law. However, radicalism in any group must be deferred for the sake of the common masses.

Once we begin to redefine things, where is the end? Will we redefine what a family is, what parents are, what good is? When moral relativism takes hold, so begins the dangerous slide toward chaos. So, while I DO NOT oppose civil unions among homosexual partners, I DO oppose redefining "marriage" to include things that were never before included in the traditionally held definition of the word.

No comments: