By Me, A Helpless Five-Year-Old Fashion Icon
When I was about five years old—a tender, innocent age when your head is mostly full of graham crackers and vague parental warnings—I was dressed to impress. I don’t know why I was so cleaned up. Maybe we were going to a wedding, or a high-level diplomatic summit, or maybe just to the movie theater where my dad worked, which in my brain at the time was basically the same thing. The point is, I was looking sharp. My hair was combed. I was wearing a red-and-white jacket that screamed, “This boy will NOT be climbing trees or rolling in dirt today.”
So naturally, I went outside to “mess around,” which is five-year-old speak for walking around the backyard pretending to do stuff while avoiding eye contact with anything muddy.
This is when the Lotts’ relatives came into the picture. The Lotts were our neighbors, and among their visiting relatives was a boy who was approximately nine years old, but spiritually about 43 and possibly feral. Let’s call him David, because I’m 80% sure that was his name and 100% sure it was something equally capable of betrayal.
David saw me from his side of the chain-link fence and summoned me like some kind of backyard goblin with a quest. “Hey!” he said. So naturally, because I was a trusting young lad and also an idiot, I scaled the fence with the elegance of a squirrel in formalwear and approached him.
Without any warning—no dramatic monologue, no villainous laugh, no time to update my will—David hauled off and punched me directly in the stomach. I didn’t even get a chance to be offended. One moment I was upright, the next I was on one knee like I’d been knighted by a medieval ghost with anger issues. All the air in my body left for a better host. I’m pretty sure I actually died for a second and briefly saw my grandmother’s dog.
After what felt like three days but was actually about eight seconds, I finally gasped back to life like someone learning to breathe for the first time. And, in a gentle weeping voice I didn’t know I had, I asked the only logical question:
“WHY?”
David didn’t answer. He just vanished. Poof. Gone. Like a weird backyard hitman hired by the universe to remind me never to trust anyone taller than me.
I climbed back over the fence—still slightly dapper, although emotionally destroyed—and went on with my day. I have no idea where we ended up going, or if my hair survived, or whether David was later arrested by the FBI. What I do know is I never saw him again.
And that’s the story of the time I learned that jackets won’t protect you from haymakers.
No comments:
Post a Comment