Monday, June 28, 2010

The Saga of the Little Champ Plane

So I bought my Dad a remote controlled little airplane for Father's day. Cool! The next day we took it out to an open field to fly it (Monday, June 21st, 2010). It was a little Champ plane from HobbyTown U.S.A.

Well, I flew it for a while and it performed beautifully. It was fun! So I turned the controls over to Dad. He took the plane up and as it went in ever widening circles, it started going behind him. Oh, and it started climbing ever higher. That's when I noticed that the wind had picked up. I ran over to Dad, who was thrusting the controller at me. "Here see if YOU can control it". I tried and tried to gain some measure of control. To no avail.

By this time it was quite high and soaring over a building. I sensed at this time that the plane was out of range so I began running around the building to see if I could see it. It had gone out of my sight past the building and trees.

We never saw the little plane again. It had merged with the infinite.

We searched and searched everywhere it could have possibly been. I walked the neighborhood (streets/alleys), looked in every tree in the area... we posted signs... the plane simply vanished.

Who knows whatever happened to it. I sure don't.

It looked like this...



What a mystery.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what happened to Little Champ either. Maybe it became a UFO and someone, somewhere will see the little plane flying across the sky at sunset and wonder "What in the world is that?" When I noticed our plane weighed 1.3oz and a wingspan of 22.4 inches and length of 14.3 inches ...I was instantly concerned about the possibility of losing control of the plane to higher velocity winds when it rose above the trees and nearby buildings. Well, it did and Little Champ is among the eternal missing. She sure did fly good. I realize your intentions were good and you wanted to make it a special Father's Day. Well, Son certainly did. Thanks, Dad